OK, yes I was. Here it is! The theories will begin in 5…4…3…2…
OKAY! A couple of things confirmed by these five minutes of web video:
1. George Wickham needs to die a slow, torturous death involving several types of corrosive chemicals and a Justin Bieber-themed mixtape.
2. Lydia did not know about the video. She enters the scene apparently trying to get ahold of George, and hasn’t been able to.
3. I am still capable of the incessant refresh several minutes before a hotly anticipated thing goes live.
4. The parent Bennets do not yet know about this tape. Will part of Darcy’s heroism be shielding it from them forever?
5. HOWEVER: At the beginning of this video Lizzie seems to think Lydia does know. That spells ass-ump-tion, and not a positive one. Sure, she says this great thing: ”Let’s face it, George has a history of convincing smart women to do dumb things.” (Oh trust me, these people exist, and they do not actually need an exterior as attractive as George’s to be convincing liars.) She did, however, conclude that Lydia has consented instead of concluding George was scamming her. That’s a little bit harsh.
I see there’s already a bit of blowback on the Internet about this: yes, this is not the worst assumption or least reasonable assumption one could make ever. It is still, however, an assumption. And the fact that when making an assumption she did not choose an assumption that favors her sister’s moral character, over one that does, is a problem between these girls that needs to be worked out. It’s in keeping with the book, because Lizzie is judgmental sometimes. However, with all other things being equal, one would hope that when one chooses between assumptions about whether or not one’s sister was on in on this dubious thing, one chooses the one that is positive for one’s sister’s reputation. Not the other. So, Lizzie and Lydia have to get through that if they are going to repair their relationship. WHICH MAKES FOR ALL THE MORE DRAMA.
5. Ashley Clements and Mary Kate Wiles are flippin’ awesome actresses.
6. Also the writers.
“Should we have seen this coming?”
“This is how we have most of our conversations now…”
7. It is not yet Thursday. I just checked. Thanks, life-ruiners.
All right… has this episode changed your perceptions of what’s going down in LBD land? Will the Bennets find out? What will Lydia do? Where will George pop up again? Jane shows up in the next episode, revealing she has rushed home from LA to help Lydia through this (is the most likely explanation). HOW HARD IS DARCY GOING TO POUND HIS ASS INTO THE PAVEMENT? Discuss.
PS: Also, there is this. Darcy’s probably going to buy the company out.